Deborah Keenaghan's Blog
More Info on this Property | New Listing Alerts
Home renovations can make you fall in love with a house that you had spent years struggling to feel comfortable in. Another thing that home renovations can do is raise your house's value. But, you have to make the right home renovations,popular upgrades.
Check out these popular home renovations
Because popular home upgrades are often trendy, they may change every several years. Unless you have deep pockets, you may want to focus on upgrades that you and potential home buyers will appreciate for at least a decade or longer. Here are popular house renovations that offer benefits like more living space, better comfort, improved style and greater functionality:
- Upgraded bathroom - You don't have to knock out walls and redo the entire bathroom. A great bathroom upgrade can be as simple as installing stylish, metal bathroom faucets or replacing bathroom counters with fashionable granite counters. You could also replace your bath tub, installing a classic marble tub or a standalone metal tub.
- Kitchen counters - People love granite kitchen counters and unique back splashes. Another item that people appreciate is a kitchen island that's topped with a granite counter. These renovations add more space and personality to your kitchen.
- Finished basement - Little upgrades add more sleeping, living or entertaining space to your house like a finished basement. Go as far as adding a bathroom and small kitchen to your finished basement and you could rent the space out as a small apartment.
- Covered parking space - By adding cover to your current driveway, you'll enjoy added protection for your vehicles. The cover protects vehicles against hot summer's rays, hail, snow and hard rains.
- Extra bedroom - Look to your attic, basement or den when you start thinking about adding a bedroom to your house. Use this space as a short or long term living space for guests.
- Enclosed porch - Turn your front porch into a fascinating outdoor living space.
- Customized bookcase - This is a popular apartment amenity. Add a customized bookcase to your living room, bedroom or home library. Fill shelves with family portraits, fresh or silk flowers, awards and artwork.
Home renovations do more than improve your living conditions
The right home renovations can shift your opinion of your house from disapproving to very satisfied. Make popular home renovations and you could shift opinions that home buyers have of your house too. If you've been struggling to sell your house and get it off the real estate market, one or more renovations may be in order.
Just make sure that you pay for renovations that lots of people love. Stylish bathroom tiles, fancy kitchen back splashes and newly installed living and dining room bay windows get a lot of appreciation. Other home renovations like roof solar panels empower your house with trendy style.
This type of popular home upgrade is also environmentally friendly. On top of that, it lowers utility costs for homeowners. It's just one reason why popular home renovations offer more than one benefit. It's why popular home upgrades pay for themselves over the short and the long term.
As a senior citizen, selling a home and moving to a new location may prove to be difficult. Fortunately, we're here to help you take the guesswork out of packing up your belongings and getting settled into a new address.
Now, let's take a look at three essential moving tips for senior citizens.
1. Plan Ahead
Moving day can be long and stressful, particularly for seniors who don't plan ahead. If you start planning for your move today, you can increase the likelihood of a seamless transition from one address to another.
Think about your belongings and what you'd like to bring to your new address. If you have a wide assortment of items that you won't need at your new home, you can sell, donate or dispose of these items prior to moving day.
Also, if you need to hire a moving company, don't wait until the last minute to do so. Because the longer that you wait to hire a moving company, the less likely it becomes that this company will be available on the date of your move.
2. Secure Your Treasured Belongings
Although you've collected a large assortment of items over the years, you may be unable to bring all of these items to your new address. However, if you sort through your belongings, you can determine which items to keep.
Treasured belongings like antiques, artwork and jewelry generally are keepers. Pack and store these items properly to ensure they won't deteriorate before moving day.
Let's not forget about treasured belongings that have sentimental value, either. Photographs and other treasured possessions should be packed in a safe place and labeled correctly. That way, you'll have no trouble unpacking these precious belongings once you arrive at your new address.
3. Ask Friends and Family Members for Help
When it comes to getting ready for moving day, there is no need to work alone. Senior citizens who reach out to friends and family members for help can streamline the process of preparing for a move and enjoy a one-of-a-kind moving experience.
Friends and family members are loved ones who strive to help you in any way they can. Thus, if you contact friends and family members before moving day, you can work with loved ones to boost the chances of a fast, easy move.
Lastly, if you need extra assistance before you relocate, it never hurts to contact a real estate agent. This housing market professional understands the challenges associated with moving and is happy to help any senior citizen enjoy a stress-free move.
A real estate agent can put you in touch with local moving professionals. Plus, if you need help selling a house, a real estate agent can make it easy to list your residence, host home showings and much more.
Keep things simple as you get ready to move – use the aforementioned moving tips, and any senior can quickly and effortlessly prep for moving day.